Coffee Swings and Memories


   
When I think of coffee and Swings, I think,  I should think of a warm sunny morning and sharing a just brewed cup of coffee with a good friend or mate . . . or perhaps all alone, just me, my bible and God. But I don’t. Coffee and Swings take me back to the summer of 2008. I was working, and going through radiation treatments for breast cancer. The hospital was right across the street from where I worked so it was easy to slip over for the ten minute treatment. It seemed like almost nothing in the course of my day. Nothing, that is, until I got home from work.
Perhaps it was somewhat due to the 30 minute drive. I would get in the car just in time to hear a chapter from whatever book was being read on “Stories of Great Christians” on my favorite station. I would relax. Drive. And arrive home almost too tired to get out of the car.
A cup of coffee would help. I would brew it. And quite by accident I discovered the magic. One day I took the cup of coffee and a passage of scripture that we were memorizing at church and migrated to the swing sitting under the tree in my yard. There, I discovered, I was transported to a quiet world where the breezes blew and the birds chirped. Our street was a quiet one but an occasional car would pass providing just a hint of distraction.
Coffee finished and a pillow added, I curled up on that swing and for a half hour would open my eyes only long enough to check the words on the passage I was memorizing. Quiet, with a bit of caffeine from the coffee, and God’s word circulating in my brain, the thirty minute rest was a miracle cure to my body, mind and soul.
I think often of the special time I spent with God that summer, almost desiring another excuse, but then I realize I don’t really need one. Every day God calls. Today, I will make  a cup of coffee and take the time to listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and prayer moves the hand of God

faith walk

The Blessings of Love